Music Banter - View Single Post - You Are What You Listen To
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #29 (permalink)
emalvick
Groupie

As Janszoon stated, I think it might be clearer when a person listens to a lot of a certain genre rather than a specific artist.

When I was in high school I was known as a class nerd. People were shocked when they found I liked Nine Inch Nails and Metallica. Now, I really don't like Metallica at all, but I still like Nine Inch Nails. However, I listen to so many genres of music and such a variety of artists that I'm not sure what they would say about me. I am a little more conscious of what I listen to around some of my friends mostly because listening to something like NIN around my highly religious friend or my brother-in-law's family might be inappropriate and insensitive to them.

I'm sure a lot of people that know what I listen to might find me a bit weird and think it is fitting as either some type of music snob or the fact that I am still some type of weird nerd, but I never think about it much in terms of what people might think of me.

I just like to discover new music and need variety. I do think that my engineering and math background makes me think more technically about what I listen to, and I find that I gravitate to music that challenges me to listen to. That can mean anything from appreciating complex free-jazz (something I'm really enjoying of late) or appreciating simple international pop music (I enjoy Spanish, French, Mexican, and Icelandic folk and pop music).

The content of the music otherwise doesn't matter. I do tend to like dark music because I find it to have what I perceive to be high quality, although I am not a depressed person by any means.

Music is just a joy in many shapes and forms.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote