View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #26 (permalink)
emalvick
Groupie

I feel like Coldplay are making a career of trying to be like other successful bands and albums rather than creating their own sound.

The use of Brian Eno (especially on VLV) showed a band trying hard to match the popularity of U2 by putting out an album that sounds like a U2 album. As a fan of A Rush of Blood to the Head and even X&Y (kind of A Rush of Blood Part 2), I found VLV a bit of a step backward. Mylo Xyloto does deviate from what they did with VLV, but it ventures too much into a Pop sound that reminds me of Maroon 5. I had to get rid of the album as I just couldn't get into it.

The review here really is spot on even if I don't fully agree with all the details. Brian Eno does seem to be a problem although I won't criticize his production work for older albums (80's-90's U2, 70's David Bowie), but what he has done as a producer since 2000 lacks any real creativity.

I'm also having to come to grips with the fact that Coldplay aren't destined to be a rock band. In a lot of ways, they've always been a pop band. THey just hid behind this idea that they were a rock band. There's nothing wrong with that; it's just not for me. I'll still enjoy A Rush of Blood, but I'll let others stay in love with what Coldplay has done and will do since then.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote