Music Banter - View Single Post - The greatest Zeppelin song of all time
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #301 (permalink)
neardeathexperience
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.w. View Post
Certainly their cover of When the Levee Breaks.

I have a real hard time with Led Zeppelin. I'm guessing Memphis Minnie wrote the song about the '37 flood (though it could've been any number of floods or near floods), & that resonates with me (having spent the last year in Memphis). But Page & Plant didn't know anything about levees or floods or about losing their livelihoods. So when I listen to Zeppelin & I try to connect with the songs, I just end up feeling Page is a huge dick & that he & Plant are both posers.

But you can't argue with the drum tones that Glyn Johns got on IV. Insane.

I think what really killed it for me was watching an interview with Page & the guy asked him about Jake Holmes & Dazed & Confused & he said something to the effect of "What's the guy got a claim to? 1 guitar riff? Give me a break." That guy is in his own category of douche bag, him & Lance Armstrong & very few others.
I think that both Plant and Page were fond of the "blues " and on numerous albums prior to their fourth album they did some covers of blues songs to which I think most Zeppelin fans appreciated. Artists are some of the worst people in the entire world to live with so please cut them some slack and just take the songs for what they are worth. Quality music.........
neardeathexperience is offline   Reply With Quote