Music Banter - View Single Post - Noteworthy roots & Americana albums
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
TboneFrank
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
Hi, Tbone ! Welcome to MB.
Sounds like you`re quite an expert on Americana. When I read that you`re familiar with a dozen of the albums in the OP list, I counted the ones I know; a very modest three or four.

I`ve heard -or rather, read on the internet- good things about the Levon Helm solo albums and so might check them out.

Strictly speaking, R & L Thompson are Brits, but the album you mention wins a lot of praise on Amazon, which makes me curious. Years ago I heard I Wanna See The Bright Lights Tonight . I really loved the title track, but was pretty disappointed with the rest of the album tbh. Do you think Shoot Out The Lights is especially good ?

Don`t worry about those Grammys, Tbone - here on MB, Tempest has won seven "excellent" votes so far. Why don`t you give us your take on the album too ?
http://www.musicbanter.com/country-f...bob-dylan.html
I listened to a lot of those albums on the list in the 70's and 80's before the term Americana was even used in the music industry. Back then it was just country-rock or blues-rock. I wouldn't consider myself an expert. I'd say I'm an intermediate roots music connoissuer.

And you don't have to be American to do American roots music. Mumford & Sons are blokes too and they came away with Album of the Year for an Americana album. And yes Shoot Out The Lights is an awesome album. I've worn out my vinyl of it decades ago. Never got it on CD so I haven't listenned to it since...?..omg...the early 90's. Shame on me. I'll have to listen to it again somehow.

I'm not worried about the Grammys...they are what they are. I'm glad an Americana band won. Sort of redeems them for missing the boat on Tempest...but not much. I've tried writing a review on Tempest but I'm not very good. My words can't give it justice. A lot of fine writers on Amazon wrote some very insightful reviews.

It's sad about Levon. He was such an authentic American musician who fought to the bitter end for his love for music and singing.

Last edited by TboneFrank; 02-13-2013 at 10:00 PM.
TboneFrank is offline   Reply With Quote