Music Banter - View Single Post - The Couch Potato: Trollheart's Televisual and Cinematic Emporium
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 04:13 AM   #38 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Another show lacking in the originality stakes but still coming up trumps is this one, where a con-man is given the chance to cut short his sentence by working with an FBI agent to catch a fellow conman. Sure, we've all seen "48 hours" and we all know the maxim "set a thief to catch a thief", but again "White collar" is one of those new breed of hip, sexy, intelligent, snappy shows that while it dazzles you with its glitz and glamour has yet something underneath the gloss.

The old idea of the young gun teaming up with the grizzled veteran is certainly not a new one, but the twist that some of the crimes they investigate are similar to ones the conman has perpetrated, and that he knows most of the people in the shady world of the hustle is pretty cool. In fact, pretty cool really describes this show. It's hard not to like Matthew Bomer in the lead role and like "Suits" you kind of root for him even if he is technically the bad guy. Decent subplot in it too.

Going into season four I believe, so obviously very successful; over this side of the water we're just about to hit season two. So lots to look forward to!

Verdict:

There just aren't too many new ideas out there, are there? Again from the mind of Spielberg, this show takes place against the backdrop not only of an alien invasion, but of the defeat of humanity and their attempts to mount a belated resistance and "take their planet back".

Yeah. It's just that, rather like his other series, I didn't feel this at all. In fact, compared to the lack of interest in and empathy with the characters in "Terra Nova", this makes me feel like they were all good friends of mine. These guys are wooden, almost hilarious caricatures that could have popped up in any post-apocalyptic or alien invasion movie. Granted, I didn't give it much of a chance (again I think I survived four episodes before giving up) but again, I believe a show should hook you from the start. Look at the shows I'm featuring here --- Babylon 5, Red Dwarf, Supernatural, Spooks --- these all pulled me in from episode one and did not let go until there was no more to consume. In the case of Supernatural I'm still catching up, though happy to do so.

Rather surprisingly to me, this has been awarded a third season recently. Maybe it's the name of the Big S that's doing it, because unless I really missed something in later episodes, it's not the characters. Or the story. Or the setting. Or the aliens. No, not even the aliens can save this, for me.

Verdict:

You know a show is not going to appeal to you when you hate every character and wish they'd die. I had hoped this might be a bit of a laugh, a bit satirical but it tries too hard. I think it wants to be "Hustle" but fails miserably. The premise is that the main cast are all lawyers who go in to downsize, reorganise and try to save companies, or at least, the big fat salaries of their big fat bosses. But instead of pointing out how immoral such firms are, the series seems to glory in the fact that the company can charge its poor (not really) clients anything they want, from first-class airfares and five-star hotel rooms to tabs at strip joints, and no-one will say boo to them.

One of the characters thinks he's God's gift to women, one is a bit of a nerd and one is just so cocksure and arrogant that you want to punch him in the face. And that's Don Cheadle! Man I just got so sick and tired of him doing a "Hustle" to the camera, where everything freezes and he explains, "breaking the third wall" as it were, what they're up to. In the end, I don't care. All you're doing is saving bloated megacorporations millions of dollars while their underpaid workers get laid off so the boss can have his six homes and his fat pension. I KNOW it's just a show, but this really goes on, and I don't think making it funny works, especially when the series does nothing to challenge the perception that everything is for sale, and nobody's feelings get in the way of the deal.

Verdict:

If you want your crime drama actually dripping with corruption, this is your show! I've seen the first season, missed the second (twice! D'oh!) and seen the third, which was subtitled "The Golden Mile". All I can say is it's gritty in a way crime shows usually are not, with really shady and yet sympathetic characters on both sides of the law, though in TGM there is very little to feel sympathy with, at least as far as the cops are concerned.

Even more shocking is the fact that this is all based on true life events (ask Rjinn, she lives there!) so when you see someone come running up to a van and shoot another guy in front of his kids, or when there's a drive-by in the middle of the day, bullets glass and blood everywhere, this ain't fiction. It really happened that way, and although names may have been changed in some cases, in most they're not, as the voiceover tells you what happened to them (serving life, killed in a disco, run over, on the run etc) so you really feel a chilling connection to well pretty much most of the characters. Think "The Wire" is tough and realistic? Try this!

Verdict: (And try, finally, to get season two!)

Four lads head off to Spain to meet their old buddy, who has made it and has invited them over for a holiday at his expense. There is, however, no such thing as a free lunch and the boys quickly realise that not all is as it seems, as they become embroiled in some very unsavoury dealings that leave them quite literally running for their lives! Boasting some major stars in the likes of John Simm (Life on Mars/Doctor Who), Philip Glenister (Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes), Max Beesley (Survivors) and Marc Warren (Hustle) this is a clever, well-written tale with a twist that turns the old idea of the booze cruise on its head.

Currently running into season three, it's been very well received and though the original premise looks like it may be in danger of being stretched to breaking point, it will be interesting to see how season three develops, and if they decide to leave it there. I mean, how much more trouble can four gullible guys from England get into abroad?

Verdict:

Last edited by Trollheart; 10-05-2013 at 05:08 AM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote