Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Workout Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 11:57 PM   #410 (permalink)
ThePhanastasio
Killed Laura Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FETCHER. View Post
Didn't know a more appropriate thread for this, but does anyone know any reputable handball/volleyball sites for skills and drills? I need to write up a lesson plan and teach it to my class currently I'm using a ****ty grainy book with awful diagrams.
I don't know if this helps at all, but my volleyball coach's father-in-law was a coach for a Division I volleyball program, and he made us do ridiculous drills and conditioning.

Conditioning:

Electric chairs; Leg lifts; Planks (3 minutes); One-arm planks (hand behind the back; sixty seconds); Suicides (You've probably run these before. In a basketball gym, it's baseline to freethrow line, back, baseline to three point line, back, baseline to half court, back, baseline to opposite three point line, back, baseline to opposite free throw line, back, baseline to opposite baseline, back.) Snakes (football field. Start at the left side of the end zone, and run to the ten yard line, then run right across the field to the opposite side to the twenty yard line, then opposite side...and so on. Ten yard increments. You have to get to the opposite endzone, then DECREASE from the "ninety yard line" and back with ten yard increments, then back. It sucks.)

Basically snakes are:

END ZONE
-------------------------------------->
|
|
|
|
\/
<-------------------------------------
|
|
|
|
\/
---------------------------------------->
|
|
|
|
\/
And so on.

For actual skills, we had to run up to the net, spike a ball lobbed to us, then run a lap around the gym before going to the back of the line. Basically, we'd almost be ready to spike again by the time we finished our lap. This also sucked.

We also had to stand across the gym from our partner, and volley back and forth without getting into the pair next to our territory. If we did knock it askew into the other pair's territory, we had to run three laps.

Our serving exercise was ridiculous. We had to serve thirty serves rapid fire, with a coach or teammates tossing the ball to us to serve. If more than ten were out, we got to run.

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote