Music Banter - View Single Post - How did you come across your favorite artist?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 12:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cuthbert
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unhinged Reviews View Post
Being that Eminem is one of my top artists, I'll share my discovery of The Slim Shady Lp.

I had been hearing a few cars go around blasting this retarded song or so I thought at the time "My name is". I thought this song was the end of rap, I couldn't get into it. I mean everywhere you went people were blasting it, black/white it didn't matter. This went on for months and I had even looked at the little video he put with it and I thought "Garbage". To make a long story short- One day, my boy Dave had me listen to his LP on New Years Eve leading into 2000, but the first track he played was "Rock Bottom" and I said OMFG..lol I was like why the heck didn't he come out with this first! Once I heard that track, I was like "Dude can actually rap" and the level of skill he had was mind-blowin at that time. I followed that up with "Bad meets Evil" and you already know how awesome that track is. So from that day on, I was and still am an Eminem fan. Let's just say when the Marshall Mathers LP came out around May 2000, I was at target first thing in the morning ready for the second greatest album of all time.
Welcome to the forum bro, nice post. I was like you at first, didn't rate My Name Is. The first track I liked of his was The Real Slim Shady (I would have been 10-11). Then I bought that single then got the album the month it came out. You would have to have been a kid then to understand how much of an effect that album had. Controversy galore, and of course then there wasn't really a successful white rapper. Beastie Boys did it I suppose but they were a group and quite Rock n Roll with it. You really did have to "be there" in my opinion to appreciate the impact Eminem had at that time. So many other white rappers started biting his style after that.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote