Music Banter - View Single Post - Noteworthy roots & Americana albums
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #25 (permalink)
TboneFrank
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.w. View Post
I object to them being nominated in the Americana category. I think that record kind of has some irish folk roots with the banjo & the strumming, which some Americana may share, but the song arrangements aren't Americana, the melodies aren't Americana... I just don't think it stands up to scrutiny. The melodies are like a contemporary christian take on Dave Matthews, & the arrangements are like Coldplay with a stomp beat. And the lyrics are like a particularly self-righteous take on U2/Coldplay. And they pull all of emotional strings that the Vineyard worship bands do (the strings, those big piano chords on the diamonds, the big crescendos & the drop outs), which is the church the guy's parents started.

It's about as Americana as Taylor Swift is country, only less. They're really just dressing the part, & adding in a couple of Avett Brothers harmonies & calling it day. It's pop music masquerading as Americana. And I think a lot of great Americana records could've gotten some exposure in that category when Mumford & Sons were already all over the show.
They performed a song from their twice nominated album Babel and participated in the Levon Helm tribute. Is that what you mean by all over the show?

The Americana music genre has only been around in the mainstream music industry since ‘95 and it has only been a Grammy category since 2010. In that short time I think the Grammy's are doing a good job promoting the genre. I’m no expert in what categorizes an artist or album as Americana but I do know that Mumford & Sons is recognized as Americana by the Americana Music Association (AMA) which is the authority on this music. I’d assume the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences would concur with them before choosing their Americana album nominations.

I preferred Babel getting Album the Year rather than Best Americana Album since that allowed Bonnie Raitt’s Slipstream to rightfully win it. I would have rather seen her perform over Mumford & Sons any day but seeing her perform at the AMA awards made up a little for not seeing her perform at the Grammy’s.

At least you got to give thumbs up for the immense exposure Babel is giving to the genre after winning Album of the Year. I personally would have much rather seen Bob Dylan’s Tempest take their spot but grievances aside the Grammy’s did no wrong this year for bringing Americana to the forefront of popular music.

Here's Bonnie Raitt at the AMA awards 2012 with John Hiatt.

Last edited by TboneFrank; 02-20-2013 at 12:10 PM. Reason: repetitive quote removed
TboneFrank is offline   Reply With Quote