Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Thoughts About Grand Funk Railroad
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen13 View Post
I can understand somewhat. Billy Preston was a strong showman at that time, always was through The 60's and 70's, and his show can make a lot of other musicians look tame by comparison. From what I think, GFR's best live days were at their earliest, when they seriously had a lot to prove being from other bands that had their day and still having a lot of energy to go out and play, and the first Live Album is serious proof of at least why they were a major attraction at least with the Rock crowd. Also by '72, they split with Terry Knight, their first manager (and leader of Terry Knight and the Pack, the band where two of the members came from) who really was seriously laying the hype on thick for the band, and the feelings must have been bad enough to effect their show at the peak of their fame.

Just some thoughts...
Worth remembering as well, when Paul Smeenus saw them in 72 they were going through a very bad stage album wise and I guess what you said above does indicate that they had gone somewhat stale. It's only when Todd Rundgren took them under his wing that they became the same band again that they were in 1969 and 1970.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote