Music Banter - View Single Post - Good quality inexpensive microphones
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
stevesonthebay
Music Addict

im also looking for a mic to do vocal and acoustic guitar recording. i have a lexicon interface with cubase recording software. the interface has a mic input via an xlr connection. at the moment i am running all mics and instruments through a Yamaha powered mixer connected to the interface which is then connected to my computer. i am using a couple of mics i already had i think they are pretty cheap dynamic mics with a 1/4 in jacks into the mixer. the mixer has preamp s for the mics which brings the signal up to line level. i get reasonable quality and levels but find a bit of interference comes through. it seems i have to put the gain up a fair way on the mixer and the interface to get the volume levels up and this brings in a hiss sound. if i turn it down a bit it lessons but there is still a little noise. i haven't tried the xlr connections yet on either the mixer or direct into the interface. i would hope that they might improve it. i tried the 1/4 in mic direct into interface and it lacked volume. im thinking that i either need a pre amp to power the mics or the interface or mixers xlr connectors are powered so this is the better connection. as for mics Ive read that a condenser mic the bigger the diaphragm the better for voice recording and not sure yet whats best for equipment (acoustic guitar) recording. not sure about dynamic mics i think they are better for live work but can also be used for studio work. maybe both together. this is my next piece of equipment im working on. a lot of the time its experimenting to find whats best. my budgets not big so there will be some compromise on quality from the best but im sure there's a setup that's affordable and can give a pretty good result. the setup at the moment is ok can get some pretty good results from a couple of cheap mics.