Music Banter - View Single Post - 100 Greatest Bass Players in Rock/Pop
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #199 (permalink)
Chris Kaye
Groupie

A pretty fair list overall - there will always be disagreements about who's better, etc. For example, some may be listed higher because they were more famous & therefore considered more "influential", though not necesarily "better". One I don't see here (unless I missed it) is Glenn Cornick of Jethro Tull. I'm a bassist myself & if you ever tried learning any of his bass parts, they're much harder to play than they sound - perhaps he came out of a jazz background or something because the notes he chooses to play are very inventive & not typical of rock bass. It's very interesting to me that bass has really evolved - it has always been a supportive instrument, in combination with the drums, but starting in the late 60s became at times a more melodic & almost lead instrument in its own right (think Jack Bruce, John Entwistle, Chris Squire). I enjoy playing an instrument that functions as both a rhythm instrument & a melodic one - in fact, it kind of links the two. I once read an interview where Jah Wobble (Public Image) said very much the same thing, and that confirmed to me that my thinking was right. Of course, the #1 function of the bass is to establish that solid bottom & rhythm groove with the drums - if you can't do that, you're lost. But if you can establish that groove AND add a bit of flair, you're on top of it ! !
Chris Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote