Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums You're Digging II
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #9211 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Pile - Magic Isn't Real (2010)
I discovered these guys last month via their album Dripping on someone's Best of 2012 list (outside of this site) - and even mentioned it in this thread at the time. The album quickly became a favorite, and I quickly checked out their first two albums as well. This, their second, is pretty awesome. Not that their first one Jerk Routine isn't also, but this one picks up the pace and just seems more driven and engaging. If I didn't know any better, I'd say they were straight out of the Pacific Northwest - combining indie rock, post-hardcore and just a tinge of grunge influence (wait doesn't all indie rock and post-hardcore have a bit of grunge influence?) with great hooks, great riffs and a lot of fun. Well maybe fun isn't the right word. Well sort of - if you've heard Boat, an indie pop/rock band from Seattle, you might consider Pile a post-hardcore version of them. But more closely, they bring to mind Bear vs Shark and Harkonen - the lead singer sounding a lot like Ben Verellen from that band and his later project Roy. Bottom line, this album flat out rocks and if you like your rock raw, check it out.