Music Banter - View Single Post - Was the past a more optimistic time than the present?
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
midnight rain
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
No, they weren't better times. As stp mentioned, everybody in the 80s was terrified that the entire planet was going to be annihilated in a nuclear war. It really can't be overstated how much this was in the public consciousness. Also, as the 80s wore on people were absolutely terrified of AIDS and thought it was going to be the new bubonic plague. And Merkins were scared of being sucked into another Vietnam in Central America. Plus, the stock market crashed in 1987 and everyone thought we were going to spin into another great depression. And the Challenger blew up and obliterated all the hope and optimism of the space age. And people were terrified of airplane hijackers. And everybody thought crack cocaine was going to destroy civilization. And everybody was scared of child abductions. And us Merkins had an empty suit in the White House who stood for everything shallow and lame about our culture. And that was just the 80s. I'll save my 90s rant for later.
Lol fair enough, I guess I just liked the pop culture of that era the best and didn't take into consideration all the political and social issues
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote