Music Banter - View Single Post - "Music" as an Interest
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 05:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
misspoptart
gimme gimme

Question "Music" as an Interest

We've seen it all too often, since the dawn of personal webpages and social media.

Almost everyone under the sun lists "music" as an interest, hobby, or more recently, a "like." The thing is, who doesn't like music? It seems like having "music" as an interest could be the most commonly listed hobby out there.

The fact is, some people "like" music harder than others -- whether they collect vinyl, own thousands of albums, download hundreds of tracks per week, or attend every live show. Others simply enjoy listening to music in the background, while doing work, or on the radio.

For me, listing "music" as an interest on any web profile or questionnaire should be taken seriously, and if I write it (I'm usually a bit more specific, but hey), I should think it's because I can listen to music without doing anything else whatsoever. If it's truly an interest or hobby, shouldn't it be given my undivided attention (at least some of the time)?

These people who say they "like" music and don't even have a music collection on their laptop, or lack any portable music-playing device...I don't know, I'm a bit skeptical.

What does having "music" as an interest mean to you?
misspoptart is offline   Reply With Quote