Music Banter - View Single Post - "Music" as an Interest
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Okay, first of all, you all know I'm old. No, really, I mean like HALF A CENTURY old! I've been around a lot of music.

In school/early work around the ages of say from 17-25 I pretty much linked everything I did to music. I was (and am) a nerd: I didn't go to discos (probably cos I was ugly/nerdy/sobre and hated pop music) but I did spend my time making elaborate compilaton tapes (ask yer da), buying the best stereo equipment I could afford, at the time, buying bagfuls of records at the weekend in town, amassing a large collection. I did a three-hour weekly stint on the local community radio, then when the internet arrived I downloaded all the free music I could and then later latched onto music forums.

I started my own website and part of it was music-based. I even interviewed Judie Tzuke (who?) for the site. I went to plenty of gigs when younger (not so much now) and I was all into the heavy metal image at the time. I watched gigs on telly, watched "The old grey whistle test", "The Tube" etc, and when recordable CDs came out I started making compliations on those too. I tried to learn to play the synth --- failed; can play but really badly --- and wish I could play the guitar. I watch and listen to musicians and think how great it would be to be able to do that, though I know I never will. I just don't have the talent, nor the discipline to try to learn.

Pretty much everything I do is linked to or informed by music, so I think it would certainly go down as far more than an "interest" with me. It's part of my life, part of whom I am and if someone took music --- all music --- somehow away tomorrow, I truly don't know what I would do.

Perhaps something like that, a deep, ingrained, almost desperate love of and interest in music is more than just a casual interest. For instance, if you took someone who says they have an interest and asked them their favourite bands, and then to talk a little about those bands, if they couldn't then I would say it's more a "general interest" than a "genuine or deep interest", and I think the distinction is important, and should be noted. Is it important to you? Could you live without it? Is it something that fills every day, one way or the other, or just something else in your life that's there, you acknowledge but could easily go on without?