Music Banter - View Single Post - The Prog Rock Album Club
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #263 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

I already know what album I'd like to see reviewed next, but I'll go ahead and do my Remedy Lane review also.

1. What were your VERY FIRST impressions on listening to the album, say from the first five minutes in?

Exquisite: I love how 'Of Two Beginnings' segues into 'Ending Theme'. Excellent vocals and production!

2. What did you think of the opening tracks?

As someone who was decently familiar with Pain Of Salvation via other records (Entropia), I'd actually say Remedy Lane opens fairly strong compared to albums they'd do after this one.

3. What did you think of the later tracks?

All great songs from my point of view, with nary a duff in the bunch: its a progressive metal record that actually challenges people a bit, which is probably what polarizes people so much towards either adoring or heavily disliking PoS's output respectively.

4. Did you like the vocalist? Hate him/her? Any impressions?

I noticed nobody ever really addresses him by name in the past reviews, but Daniel Gildenlow is a rather unique vocalist...arguably one of the best in the genre to be honest. He has a lot of control and intensity and can shift between style and tempo at a moment's notice, not unlike Mike Patton. Pain Of Salvation is pretty much his baby creatively also, so his talent shines quite bright IMO on this album.

5. Did the music (only) generally appeal to you, or not?

Pain Of Salvation was one of the first progressive metal bands I fell in love with over half a decade ago, with Remedy Lane in particular being a seminal record for me. Great sound, excellent variety, and chockfull of personality and heaviness! Also...you guys DO realize it's considered to be one of the best progressive metal records of the last twenty years or so right? Just checkin'...

6. Did the album get better or worse as you listened to it (first time)?

Upon initial listening as a high schooler, I thought the progression from song to song was rather challenging...but it really does get better and better as you go along methinks!

7. What did you think of the lyrical content?

There's already been enough talk about how brilliant and moving both 'Trace Of Blood' and 'Rope Ends' are, but I actually find even the more esoteric fare interesting even when a specific message isn't immediately obvious. If you want bland "she looked at me, I looked at her' stuff, there's plenty of mindless pop out there after all: challenging music should challenge us to put our interpretive skills to work at times!

8. Did you like the instrumental parts?

There's enough great guitar work throughout to get my blood pumping, but the use of keyboards+piano and lower-key instrumentation emphasizes enough contrast that I enjoyed the overall sonic approach just fine.

9. What did you think of the production?

Very balanced, and just nuanced enough as far as mixing goes to surprise you: e.g. the bassline in 'Waking Every God'.

10. How well do you already know the band/artist?

I've been a big fan for years, so going through Remedy Lane again was....well, like a trip down memory lane I suppose.

11. What sub-genre, if any, would you assign this music to?

Progressive metal of course, in a very literal sense.

12. On repeated listens, did you find you liked the album more, or less?

One of those albums you can't get tired of if you're in the right mood.

13. What would you class as your favourite track, if you have one?

Oh, 'Trace Of Blood' without a doubt. It's the album's centerpiece (both structurally and emotionally) and arguably one of the best cuts the band has ever done, period. 'Chain Sling' and 'This Heart Of Mine' would be my other picks!

14. And the one you liked least?

I like all of the tracks, but I also agree with the rest that 'Beyond The Pale' probably doesn't need to be as long as it is.

15. Did the fact that this album is a debut/sophomore/middle period or later period allow it, in your mind, any leeway, and if so, was that decision justified or vindicated?

N/A

16. Are you now looking forward to hearing other albums by the band/artist?

I'm always up for a new Pain Of Salvation album!

17. Did you get, thematically, the idea behind the album if there was one?

It's pretty poignant stuff really: like most concept records, it attempts to map out a person's life from start to afterlife I suppose: the prog. metal equivalent to Dan Fogelberg's The Innocent Age perhaps?

18. Did the album end well?

'Second Love' and 'Beyond The Pale' needed to switch places, but I really don't have a beef with how things were structured.

19. Do you see any way the album could have been improved?

This is one of those records that I would have personally loved to hear a bit of brass or more synth-emphasis in. Some sax or horns in 'This Heart Of Mine' would have been perfect!!

20. Do you think the album hung together well, ie was a fully cohesive unit, or was it a bit hit-and-miss?

It's a pretty damn good record, possibly the best the band has done in their entire career. Interestingly enough, I consider it a great jumping off point to their other stuff as well for the first-time listener.

Overall album rating: 9 out of 10

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 02-20-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote