Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums You're Digging II
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #9215 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

I've been really digging that Knife album sidewinder mentioned. I'm having the weirdest deja vu with it, though...I know I had never listened to it before but it sounds so damn familiar to me...

I've also been enjoying:

Moderator cut: image removed
Jamie Woon - Mirrorwriting

I'd describe this guy as James Blake minus the progressive edge. The weird thing about this album is every time a new song started, I started off thinking "meh...this is ok...I'm probably gonna change the album soon". Inevitably, however, each song would creep its way into my brain and I would think, "wait...no...this is awesome". That went for just about every track on this album.

Depth and Current - Depth and Current

This is a pretty intense shoegaze album. I feel a lot of the songs could actually translate well into black metal (especially the opener Chkill). Wayne Coyne has talked these guys up a lot, so I figured they gotta be worth something. Sure enough, I can see exactly why he likes them. If the Lips got way more serious, I could see them making music like this.

Unknown Mortal Orchestra - II

I was really looking forward to this release. I loved their self titled debut...it was quirky, psychedelic, and poppy all at the same time. That's no easy thing to accomplish. They haven't changed much for II...they've mainly just polished their sound and perfected the approach they used on their debut. I'll let that slide for now since the first album left me wanting more...but I'm hoping to see some growth on their next one.

And what's with the naked chick on the album cover trend? Bat for Lashes, Nick Cave, some album that got mentioned a while back with some naked diving girls...now this. Not that I'm complaining...just an observation.