Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you reading right now?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #4581 (permalink)
stanley lambchop
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsubmissivewife View Post
Are We All Nazis? by Hans Askenasy

Fantastic book. Written in 1978, however the information is still relevant today. It basically explores the theory that given the right conditions, any of us are likely to act in a manner inconsistant with our normal beliefs. It gives the reader a glimpse of the day to day life of the "monsters" at the forefront of the Nazi's regime, and argues that they weren't really monsters at all, but normal people like you and I. It also links these arguments with the Yale psychologist Stanley Milgram and his "famous" behavioural experiments, which I'd recommend looking up if you're not familiar.

At any rate, it makes the reader really ponder how they would act in a similar situation. It's a thin book, but I've had to stop reading it mid-way through in order to absorb it.
Err what? Really? 'Normal people like you and I' please don't link me in with your 'normality'

'Given the right conditions...acting in a manner inconsistent with normal beliefs'?

I'm trying to understand your conclusion of events really...and asking genuinely your point

Are you of the opinion actions were excusable? I haven't read the thin book nor would i entertain it but really am interested in your viewpoint?

What exactly are you excusing here?
stanley lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote