Music Banter - View Single Post - Humble Pie's Smokin Album
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

I liked Smokin', but I would vote Eat It as my favorite Pie album. Still, it is a great starting point.

It's kind of painful to hear Eat It though, as it has almost everything they were great at with a little added Soul before the great drop in quality - The Rocking feeling of Smokin' plus a dash of Town and Country acoustical greatness ("Say No More") and some good covers on Side Two. The only part I did not like much was Side Four, where it sounded like Steve was trying way too hard in his vocals which to me gave a hint as to where they started to fall. The Performance album was a great set (excellent late night album!), and that's what I judged it by.

Getting back to Smokin', the hit (OK, FM Radio hit) "30 Days In the Hole" is one of the very few songs about Hard Living that still stands up today especially through Steve Marriott's singing. My favorite on the album, however, is the slow burning cover of "Road Runner" and the "G Jam" that follows it. Side One is good, but Side Two ("30 Days..." and after) steals the show.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote