Music Banter - View Single Post - Recent Metal Purchases
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #214 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Surprised to see such unfounded judgement based purely on a band's name. Some metal bands have ridiculous names but doesn't mean they're crap bands. I'm particularly taken aback by Engine's assertion that since their name is "goofy" their music must be too. Way to give a band a chance guys: ever heard of not judging a book by its cover?

Anyway, for those who haven't heard them this is what Devil's Train sounds like...
I think its a good thing to question assumptions but I did have more to go on than just the bad name. You like the band which meant there was a very small chance that I would like it. I use the scientific method mixed with my own intuition before I state assumptions. Call me overconfident but, hey, I was 100% right this time.

For those who want to know why I say this, here's a list of qualitative reasons that my prediction was right, based on the song you posted above:

1. It opens with a pick slide followed by a lifeless, generic metal riff.
2. Fifteen seconds in, the singer displays his goofy vocals that remind me of all the singers that I hate from the 1990s.
3. Thirty seconds in, the singer raises his voice and the guitars back it up with some slightly heavier riffing that sounds straight out of 1990s college radio (i.e. the more radio-friendly grunge bands).
4. The pace builds for about one minute when the band reverts to the sing-songy Eddie Vedder-esque chorus (shudder).
5. At about 1:50 the Mosh Lite part comes in. It sounds goofy and cliched to me but maybe this is totally serious metal to others?
6. 2:05 - a thirty second guitar solo. yay.
7. After that it closes with some more soaring vocals, and a "yeah, mama" or two.

I'm not trying to argue Trollheart. You and I don't like the same music. You're right that I was being presumptuous (and I do hate presumptuousness) but, by my standards, the song you posted proves that my presumption was correct.