Music Banter - View Single Post - Describe Yourself
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 01:24 AM   #41 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

I don't totally believe my own fabricated self-image. I think self-images on their own are probably inherently flawed, because they're based on the assumption that other people think the same way you do and have the same information and emotions about yourself that you have, which is never. I can only judge how I come off to others by their reactions to me, and since we're dealing with how other people may see you, I think that's relevant. So, using that as a basis, I can say that I'm easy to like and get along with. I've never had an enemy (that I know about) in my life. People enjoy my sense of humor when it happens to come through, but I'm not a comedian, otherwise I would get that sort of reaction often.
I'm outgoing when I'm interested in a topic. Reticent when I'm not. That goes to say that I'm pretty selective about what I'm interested in, and my level of social engagement is highly dependent on the subject being discussed.
While this is more of an introspective analysis, I can verify it by judging the reaction people have when communicating with them during these moments.

I'd say people see me as highly interested in particular things, and only really engaging and dynamic when I'm discussing those interests. Other times, I may seem reticent or even withdrawn, but personally, it's just because I can't feign excitement if I'm not excited. I mean, I can, but I just don't find it very productive unless I'm trying to manipulate someone, which is not something I do all the time or for any nefarious means. I'm talking about social manipulation in terms of making someone feel better about a situation I may feel completely different about.
Otherwise, I prefer coming off as boring rather than to pretend I want to talk solely for the sake of the person across from me. That's usually my default position, but is highly dependent on my mood at the time.
I think this has a tendency to make me come off as either socially inept or an ass hole in some cases, although I'm speculating on that point, which is irrelevant to how other people actually feel, so that is neither here nor there.
But I do know that alcohol makes that go away. I'll talk your ear off about whatever you want to discuss, and I'll be happy to do it.

Finally, I don't think the internet is an appropriate representation of personality AT ALL. The impressions of me I get on the internet are pretty weird. I know people say I'm intelligent and all that, but I'm of average intelligence. I may be more logically inclined and less emotionally bound, and I may utilize proper spelling and grammar, but I'm a standard, every-day guy. I speak FAR less fluently than I write. I'm horrible at math. Never did well in school. Etc... I think impressions on the internet are more in line with an individual expectation rather than the reality of the matter.
I do pride myself a bit on being able to analyze and put concepts together and use them in a coherent way to a logical end, but I think that is (or should be) the norm.
And I guess that's where your perception of that comes in.