Music Banter - View Single Post - Kids Drum Kit Advice
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretch7 View Post
Cheers for that! We're wanting to put too much money into a brand name but clearly don't want to get a piece of crap... I am ordering in Australia online thru Amazon with the advice of a couple of friends who are drummers... Not in a position to go to a shop and get demo done due to geographical location... We are getting a child size kit and have been advised that it is best to get a separate symbal... Just really wanting advice on brands as we have not heard of many of these...
I became a drummer in childhood after having built my own drum set out of cardboard boxes, tupper-ware bowls, skillet lids and cookie tins. "Piece of crap" is probably not a limiting factor in a child's ability to utilize what is there to further his or her mechanical skill in drumming. 3 year old children don't need a top-of-the-line DW kit to express themselves or become invested in drumming. If you're interested in recording the absolute best quality sounds from a high-quality drum set being abused by a 3 year old, you're being counter-productive. And if you're just wanting to cultivate the child into the drumming experience, that kid just needs to be in a musical environment and have something to gravitate to and utilize. It doesn't need to be top-quality. Kiddie drums aren't going to fall apart. They're built for kids. Unless you have a baby Hulk, don't worry.

As far as your separate cymbal comment, I'm wondering if you know anything about drums at all or English isn't your first language. Give her a high hat, a crash, and a ride. That's all she will need. The quality of those cymbals will only matter if you're actually banking on her growing up to become a drummer and want her to still use those cymbals years from now. Probably not a good idea, since she might decide to never touch a drum ever again.

Get her something affordable and let her beat the sh*t out of it. Encourage her, but don't enforce. And like Urban said, there's no point in spending all this money on high quality gear when you don't even know where she will place her interests.
And I don't want to encroach on your parenting or anything, but I do think enforcing interests on your kids is HIGHLY f*cking unethical. Not that I'm saying you're doing that. I'm just putting that out there. Most parents don't even know they do it.