Music Banter - View Single Post - Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #217 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Hard, Heavy and a Classic 1973

Mott the Hoople Mott 1973
(CBS)
Soft Rock-Glam Rock

Tales of the road against a rocky and ironic backdrop.

The Album
Mott was quite simply the album of a band that had hit the big time and were therefore fully confident of the type of the album that they wanted to put out. Mott was not as hard hitting in terms of heaviness, as their two previous albums Brain Capers and the album that broke them All the Young Dudes. But it was the album that had music critics both then and now declaring it as the band’s most accomplished album, and in many ways it was an album that would prove impossible for the band to try an repeat again. Mott is an album that was largely written on the road and is based around wry tales focusing on the rock ‘n’ roll lifestyle that the band both experienced and observed whilst on the road. The album itself tends to use a mid-paced rock backdrop to address its subject matter and manages to pull the whole thing off without a weak track in sight! Mott was to date, the most Ian Hunter album of the band’s discography with its ironic and humorous tones. It’s without doubt an album aimed at the more discerning listener rather than a casual one and as to be expected it takes several listens before its quality in depth really sinks in. Sadly this would prove to be the final outing by Mick Ralphs with the band, as after this recording he went onto form the supergroup Bad Company.

Every track on the album is accomplished, but the stand-outs include the album opener “All the Way From Memphis” which surely rivals the gifted Bowie written “All the Young Dudes” on their previous set in terms of prestige. Other stand-outs include “Whizz Kid” and the zany sounding “Violence” which sounds more like a Sparks track from that era (but with a rockier backdrop here) then there is the rolling energy of “Drivin Sister” to start the flip side of the album and as always the Mick Ralph penned “I’m a Cadillac” almost steals the show, and in many ways sounds like a track that the future Fleetwood Mac could’ve put out, the song then moves into its second part, the Spanish named “El Camino Dolo Roso” with some infectious guitar, before finishing up with the graceful “I Wish I Was Your Mother”. All these songs are built around solid songcraft, a driving energy and they’re also not afraid to change direction at any time and these songs have Ian Hunter’s writing prowess and Mick Ralph’s playing all over them. Mott along with their previous All the Young Dudes and along with T.Rex’s Electric Warrior may well be the three finest albums to come out of the British glam rock movement of the early 1970s! If this were a competition though, it might just pip both of those two for its grace, style and quality.

Ian Hunter- Guitar/Vocals
Mick Ralphs- Guitar
Peter “Overend” Watts- Bass
Verden Allen- Keyboards/Organ
Dale “Buffin” Griffin- Drums

Production- Mott the Hoople

If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History

Last edited by Unknown Soldier; 04-19-2014 at 02:32 AM.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote