Music Banter - View Single Post - Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #218 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Hard, Heavy and a Classic 1973

New York Dolls New York Dolls 1973 (Mercury)
Glam Rock-Proto Punk
When I say I'm in love, you best believe I'm in love LUV!

The Album

Often regarded as one of the most influential albums on the future punk scene, but let’s face it, the New York Dolls debut was already an influential album from the moment of its release back in 1973. Deep rooted in the rock ‘n’ roll vibes of the 1950s and the feel of a lackadaisical Rolling Stones, the Dolls debut came out on the heels of the already booming glam rock scene and for many observers they were part of that scene. In reality though, the Dolls were a very different kind of animal to the rest of the glam rock scene, more androgynous than most, very different to the theatrics of Alice Cooper, didn’t care about Black Sabbath pseudo-satanic style, didn’t care about Lou Reed’s observations of the dark side. This was a band that just looked trashy and they sounded like trash as well, this is what the band were all about! Their debut set was fronted by David Johansen on vocals, Johnny Thunders on guitar and backed by Sylvian Sylvian on rhythm, Arthur Kane on bass and Jerry Nolan on drums. This debut album would churn out a collection of timeless rock ‘n’ roll tunes, of interest to glamsters, punkies and rockers alike.

Of the songs “Personality Crisis” is a punchy sounding energetic number and “Looking for a Kiss” is without doubt one of the best tracks on the album, coming across like a sloppy Rolling Stones number but beefed up with Johnny Thunders on guitar, with its constant riff throbbing away. “Vietnamese Baby” may well be the tightest sounding track on the album and “Frankenstein” the longest. The album is just not about a wanton display of trashy fun, but also the song arrangements and playing of the band, are evident on a track like “Lonely Planet Boy”. Then there is the sheer fun of “Trash” and an excellent cover of Bo Diddley’s “Pills” on the later part of the album. Nearly all these songs, sound like essential proto-punk recordings that would help set the tone for the punk invasion of 1976 and 1977, none more so than the Ramones! Overall the album is another one of the great Todd Rundgren productions, as he’s captured both the sloppy and trashy sound of the band, and contrasting that with the playing arrangements of the band, without ever sacrificing one over the other. The album almost within a year of hitting the streets, had a virtual remake with the Kiss debut album the following year, which sounded like it used the Dolls debut as their blueprint.

David Johansen- Vocals
Johnny Thunders- Guitar
Sylvian Sylvian- Rhythm
Arthur Kane- Bass
Jerry Nolan- Drums

Production- Todd Rundgren

If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History

Last edited by Unknown Soldier; 07-23-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote