Music Banter - View Single Post - Greatest songwriting duo ever ?
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin B. View Post
Lennon & McCartney team and the Bacharach & David team were the among the most prolific songwriting teams of the Sixties... but the Holland brothers may have written more hit songs than either Lennon & McCartney or Bacharach & David.

Eddie (lyrics) & Brian Holland (music) wrote many of the Motown classics for the Supremes, the Marvelettes, the Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, Martha & the Vandellas, and the Miracles. Lamont Dozier also got a songwriting credit for being the producer and arranger of the Holland brothers' songs; hence the Holland-Dozier-Holland imprint on many of the Motown songs. Here's a link to a list of songs written by the Holland-Dozier-Holland team: Category:Songs written by Holland-Dozier-Holland.

Eddie Holland also teamed with another in-house Motown producer, Norman Whitfield, to write most of hit songs for the Temptations. The Holland brothers, along with Lamont Dozier & Norman Whitfield all left the Motown label over royalty distribution disputes with owner Barry Gordy.

You can't ignore the Gershwin brothers whose songs have endured for nearly a century.

George & Ira Gershwin composed a book of pop music and jazz standards that have endured longer than any of the pop/rock music composers. The Gershwin Brothers wrote hit songs for such musical giants as Billie Holiday, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald & the Count Basie Band. Among the Gershwin brother classics:

But Not For Me
Let's Call the Whole Thing Off
Nice Work If You Can Get It
Oh Lady Be Good
They All Laughed
I've Got a Crush on You
Our Love Is Here To Stay
Embraceable You
I Got Rhythm
Let's Call the Whole Thing Off
They Can't Take That Away From Me

Any jazz player or singer worth their salt knows the Gershwin-Gershwin songbook like the back of their hand...Even Coltrane & Monk performed covers of many of the Gershwin standards.
Great post, Gavin