Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beatles vs The Beach Boys
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #601 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamonics View Post
Ok, you're going into lala-land by now. George Martin did not "make" their first big hit "Please Please Me", recording aside. He disliked the initial arrangement and suggested the boys speed it up, but the rest was up the Beatles themselves, and they radically altered it to the point where it was believed it could be a hit. As for "A Day in the Life", yes that was two seperate songs initially. I don't how good Paul's part could've been on its own, but in my mind John's part would've been great in any case, though together they become something special. Anyway, it was McCartney's idea to join the two pieces via an orchestra. George Martin supported that idea by writing a loose score, but it was not his idea. In general, George Martin was known to suggest a thing here or there, and implement small pieces of music, but to say he was the pop genius behind The Beatles' success is ridiculous. As a producer he was very, very important, but NOT as a writer, c'mon. Your whole attitude towards the band is very telling with your inclusion of "knifing Pete Best in the back", so I shouldn't really take your post seriously, but dammit, good band on good forum needs some defending from silly people. :p
A Day in the Life is like a precursor to the Medley on Abbey Road, which in turn is a precursor to what Prog did, piece together small pieces of music into one long song.

The main problem about Please Please Me for George Martin was that it was "rather dreary" it was slow pace like a Roy Obison song, and they sped up the tempo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lennon
"I remember the day I wrote it, I heard Roy Orbison doing "Only the Lonely", or something. And I was also always intrigued by the words to a Bing Crosby song that went, 'Please lend a little ear to my pleas'. The double use of the word 'please'. So it was a combination of Roy Orbison and Bing Crosby". -The Beatles 2000, p. 90.
PLEASE ~ Bing Crosby 1932

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote