Music Banter - View Single Post - ASAP Rocky
Thread: ASAP Rocky
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #119 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
I've always believed part of being a good artist is surrounding yourself with the right talent, and in this respect i think asap is great.

His lyrics run the gambit from occasionally good to unbearable. I think he has some fun wordplay here:

If I may use Wu tang as an analogy; Asap is more of the method man school of thought-fun playful "flows"-as oppose to raekwon with more deliberate substance.
I see what you're saying but Rocky isn't on Method Man's level in terms of lyrics, but to be honest, that's not what makes Rocky great. The new album is great (imo) because it shows his diversity. The dude can spit solidly on pretty much any beat. Many of the beats are spacey and atmospheric which is nice while some are hard hitting and unforgiving. Either way, Rocky does well.

I see a lot of people say they dislike Fashion Killa but tbh, the way he fits in all of those brand names in the rhyme scheme and the flow is actually pretty respectable. Granted, I think that multiple people helped him write it, the final product is solid no matter who wrote it, and Rocky was the one who actually spit it.

Just because Rocky's lyrics aren't always deep doesn't nullify the quality of the rest of the product for me. MCs don't always have to be commenting on the bleak conditions of society to be good. Just my two cents.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote