Music Banter - View Single Post - What pisses me off most about science
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED HALE SR. View Post
I loan/give my mom money all the time. It doesn't necessarily make me feel good and I don't feel bad about it either. I don't feel the need to do it either, I just do it because she asked. There are plenty of things I do for her like working on her car when it breaks down. She doesn't even necessarily need her car running she hardly uses it but I do it because she asked not because of any underlying need or complacency. My friends mother has Alzheimers and they could have put her in a nursing home many years ago but he takes care of her because he wants her to remain at home and be a part of their family. He doesn't have any underlying motive such as money because they could afford to do so. He just does it because he loves his mother.
So social reciprocity to one's family isn't at all explainable by pure pragmatism? You do good things for people because it helps to foster cooperation in the human race which helps you in the long run. Since your mother takes care of you for at least eighteen years of your life I imagine this is a hundred times more applicable.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote