Music Banter - View Single Post - What pisses me off most about science
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #20 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED HALE SR. View Post
Fostering cooperation? WTF I don't see it as being cooperative in any sense its more about looking at it as just money. I do good things for people because sometimes people need good things to be done for them, not because I gain anything from it. What do I gain from giving someone money that I will never see again? My mother actually didn't take care of me for 18 years I lived with my father as a kid.
You're not looking at the big picture. If you didn't feel the need to do good things for your mother, then it would hurt the mother/child relationship between you. And if everyone likewise didn't feel the need to do good things for their mother then the whole concept of a mother/child relationship would suffer. Since human beings are formed (physically, mentally, and emotionally) by their parents and their relationships with them, a breakdown in these relationships would be catastrophic to the survival of the human race. So, doing good things for your mother is not only about your own self interest, but the self interest of the human race in general. Which is why we evolved this way in the first place, because it's just pragmatic.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote