Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #5551 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
this was the same issue with nathan drake and the uncharted franchise. In terms of the narrative the combat simply does not fit the protagonists morals.

Its whatever though at the end of the day im more concerned with fun/shooting people than lara crofts portrayal.
That's why the environment and situation needs to strip away the morals and hypocrisies of civilized society. It still allows for empathy because we can think of how shitty the situation, but not necessarily make us feel sorry for the protagonist. Nathan Drake doesn't really get this excuse in the latter games because he's actively seeking a treasure, but Lara is trapped on an island, so I think there's some room to go all Lord of the Flies.

I doubt it's going to happen though, as I said before the 2012 E3 trailer was tailor-made to hit all the right sympathy buttons in the male teenager's head, and I think even one of the people involved in development said the player should feel motivated to protect her from rape.

It's really hard to do empathy right, and if we're not invested in our character then we won't play the game, and it's kind of funny to see the lengths game devs will go to still try and make us care about their characters. Kratos from God of War is a great example for this. While in the first game he does express some actual emotions besides seething rage, by the second game he's undergone a complete character change and now seems to be only motivated by petty revenge on Zeus. I mean it starts with you attacking Rhodes for no real reason other than "he's the god of war so he does what he wants". By the third game he's ripping the head off Helios to use as a flashlight, all the while still trying to make him out as the injured party in all of this, despite his revenge for his dead family (which he killed) being fulfilled by the end of the first game.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote