Music Banter - View Single Post - Grand Funk's Survival Album
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
neardeathexperience
Music Addict

Default Grand Funk's Survival Album

This was the band's fourth album and it came out on the heels of their live double album. First off the cover depicts the band members as cave men which I always thought gave off three thoughts of mind. Primitive, savage like and living off the land which Grand Funk seemed to embrace in past songs.
They seemed so comfortable in their success they actually did covers of Feeling Alright and Give Me Shelter which were done quite well in my opinion.
Considering the album only had a total of seven songs on it that only gave the listening fan five new offerings from the band. Like the old saying it's not quantity it's quality that wins out in the end which Grand funk lives up to here!
Country Road opens the album which is perfect with the typical familiar Farner vocals followed by the crushing bass lines and drum beats.
All You've Got Is Money is another lesson from Grand Funk about the American value system which is also a classic Grand Funk style song. Comfort Me is a bit of a ballad and passes the test. All of a sudden we are treated to a cover of Fellin' Alright acceptable on numerous levels. I Want Freedom harkens back to the quality of I'm Your Captain with a little re-working.
Another swipe at a longer style Grand Funk song with voice overs in I Can Feel Him In The Morning enlists some deep thought via some young children's spoken words. A interesting song which speaks to Grand Funk's views on certain political subjects. To close out the album the band chose to do a cover of the Stones Give Me Shelter. One can't help, but wonder why a band so popular as Grand Funk at this time chose to do two covers on their album, but that just may be why they did to keep us wondering......
neardeathexperience is offline   Reply With Quote