Music Banter - View Single Post - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
appleghost
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Again, given that I only heard it the once, just that I didn't hear any tracks on it I liked really. No deep Cave ballads, no going-off-the-deep-end murder stories, just kind of meh really which is not in any way an adjective (not a real word I know but some people say it's a perfectly cromulent one!) I ever expect to apply to Cave's work.

For me, the albums of his I've enjoyed in order would be:

No more shall we part
The boatman's call
The good son
Push the sky away
Murder ballads
Henry's dream
Let love in
Abbatoir blues/Lyre of Orpheus
Nocturama
Dig Lazarus dig

I should point out that his albums pre-"The good son" I have found hard to get into and have not in fairness given much of a chance, though I intend to sit down and really listen to them. Also, the last three have only got one or two listens each, so certainly Abbatoir and Nocturama may end up in a higher position, or at least having a better response from me, but the top 5 or 6 are definitely unchangeable. You can certainly see a pattern here though: the more recent albums (this one excluded) have impressed me far less, in general, than his earlier ones.
I own most of his discopgraphy, though I admittedly haven't listened to all of it. Abbatoir Blues is actually the one I've listened to the most. "The Weeping Song" off The Good Son is one of my all time Cave-favourites (as well as one of my earliest musical memories). Let Love In is great (I believe we've talked about it before in the lyrics-thread, haven't we?), and I've heard most of Henry's Dream.
Seems like I have a lot more to listen to, though. Listening to Boatman's Call now, as many regard it as his best album. It's fantastic so far.

Also, who voted 1/5???
Why???
appleghost is offline   Reply With Quote