Music Banter - View Single Post - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 02:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
appleghost
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Personally I have to say I've never been in the lyrics thread, so it wouldn't have been me you were talking with.

TBC is a fabulous album, though different to what he had done up to that point. As I said, I kind of consider NMSWP and that to be quite similar in style, though the latter has a few harder, more typical Cave tracks while Boatman's has none really, even though the bitterness and anger is certainly there, in songs like "People ain't no good" and "Idiot's prayer", and maybe "Brompton oratory", if you read between the lines.

I just feel that from the period 1990 to 2001 he could do no wrong; every album was flawless and better than the one that preceded it almost. Then Nocturama, while not a bad album, didn't floor me in the way his others had, and after that though I bought Lyre/Abbatoir I didnt listen to them until some time later. Still formulating an opinion on them. Dig I definitely did not like, at least on first listen, and though that could change, as I say Cave is not an artiste I usually need more than one listen to get into. Barring the older material, I've loved everything from TGS up to NMSWP. This album kind of sets me back on the right track with Nick, as it were.
http://www.musicbanter.com/general-m...lyrictube.html
It was a lyrics-thread in the general music-forum
Sadly, it never became that popular.

Abbatoir Blues sure has some great tracks (on the first disc, though. I haven't really listened that much to the Lyre of Orpheus), my favourites being "Cannibal's Hymn", "Hiding All Away" and "Let The Bells Ring". I feel that some of the songs focus a little more on the instrumentation than the lyrics, at least compared to previous albums, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

What's your opinion on his Grinderman-project?
I have only listened to their first album, but I enjoy it. Though the lyrics are much... rawer, they fit the instrumentation well, and the result is a hard-hitting, energetic album.
appleghost is offline   Reply With Quote