Music Banter - View Single Post - If you don't have something good to say...
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #21 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Personally, I tend to stay out of threads that don't interest me, are about bands or topics that I have no real interest in. F'r instance if I see a thread called "I love Pet Shop Boys", I'd not go in because I DON'T love PSB, but that doesn't invalidate the opinion of those who do. It just seems counter-productive and anyway if the thread is pretty obviously an "appreciation" one then I'm likely to be up against it, being a minority of one. Even if I see something asking for opinions on something I don't like --- "Do you love/hate rap" --- I'll not bother, because I dont know enough about the subject to offer an opinion.

On the other hand, if someone makes a thread like "Marillion suck" or "Tom Waits couldn't compose his way out of a paper bag" I'd be in there like a shot.

If I have something constructive to say I'll say it, but there are so many good threads I can post in, where my opinion and comments and views will be appreciated, why walk into the lion's den?
Very true. Most of the time I'm pretty much of this default value.
However, there are times when I either don't know much about a particular band or artist, read the thread, check them out, then am like "Ok, wow..." and would love to express an opinion about it. But most often I just relegate myself to silence and avoid agitating.

In the long run, it might save me time and grief, but I also wonder about how many opportunities I'm missing for some smart fellow to point out where I'm wrong and get me to look at things in a different light, which may not have been possible had I avoided the confrontation to begin with.