Music Banter - View Single Post - Honey Vibezzz Collection
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
CLOSER
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Depends on what you want the outcome to be. If you want it to sound less bathroomy, you can at least to a bit to rectify it with EQ. However, if you want to go for the bathroomy vibe, you're going to need to have the main dry vocal creating that sound, and the reverb/delay should be more ambient about it. As it stands, they're both basically doing that same sound and it's a little much, because the bathroom sound in reality is not a long decay, whereas the reverb/delay is artificially creating that reality. If you want to create a full, spacious bathroom sound, you need to let each element collectively work toward that, but not each element mirroring the same thing, if you see what I mean.

For instance, let's say your recorded vocal is intentionally bathroomy, and you're fine with it. You create your ambience to give depth and space to that not by reverberating and delaying that very effect, but just providing some less apparent backing to it. So, the dry vocal itself might retain that sound, but then you EQ your reverbs and delays so that they're more subdued and more of a supporter of space and depth itself, without over-emphasizing the original bathroom sound.

Or, experimentally, you could go 180 on it, and have the reverbs and delays be bathroomy, with the dry vocal less so. In either case, you create distinction, and the degree at which you do that is simply dictated by the amount of disparity between the dry vocal and the effects.

Ultimately, I'd say it's better to just play around with it and see what works, but from an outside perspective and listening on studio quality equipment, I can tell you that either the main vocal or the effects of the vocal need to give a little more to the other. As they stand now, it's a bit of a wash. Some sort of compromise should be made.

Ahhh I hear that... in the sense that if I want that ambiance every component can't necessarily be the overt piece of an echo or spaciousness....but play a piece of the equation.

Engineers REALLY have it tough, this stuff is meticulous and the way we recorded this track is each instrument @ one shot, so I might do it from scratch and just plug the keyboard in to the TASCAM..because it's picking up so much garbage convos in the back... anything better to use than Logic? I've really been sticking to Garage Band (****ty as it is) because it's so elementary but Logic is too far on the other side of the spectrum in terms of overwhelming...
CLOSER is offline   Reply With Quote