Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite Yes Album
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #176 (permalink)
Cinnamonics
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Smeenus View Post
Relayer juuuuuust barely tops Close To The Edge, those two are both amazing and a hella close call. After that would be Fragile, The Yes Album and Going For The One in no special order. Those albums I just listed would contain every Yes album I enjoy 100% front to back. Next would be Tales, I like it better than most people I think, but I'd have to admit that it's somewhat (ok, extremely) protracted for the mere sake of it and can be pretty tedious in spots of all 4 sides. But it has enough high points on all of the 4 pieces that I enjoy it. After that is Tormato, as I posted elsewhere that album has some really good moments (esp. "On The Silent Wings of Freedom), Squire's playing is as great as ever, but Wakeman's tone utterly SUCKS throughout and "Circus of Heaven" is Jon Anderson at his touchy-feely silliest and worst.

I really don't care for the early albums or the MTV era. I heard moments of the album with the Russian guy on keys that kinda rocked, but it didn't grab me either.

I didn't include the live albums, Yessongs would generally top Yesshows, but the latter live album features the ULTIMATE "Gates of Delerium". That track excepted I generally prefer the studio versions of those two live albums
I can't remember which album the live version of "Gates of Delirium" I've heard is from, but in any case it is an incredible live version, and probably the same you're talking about. It is the only time I've decided I like a faithful live rendition more than the studio counterpart! After hearing it, I was astounded, and checked out RateYourMusic, and all the reviewers seemed to be saying the same. :o
Cinnamonics is offline   Reply With Quote