Music Banter - View Single Post - If you don't have something good to say...
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #33 (permalink)
Rjinn
The Aerosol in your Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
No, I'm saying you have to massage egos and tread carefully. If you come into a thread with all guns blazing no-one's going to give you much of a chance, whereas if you look like you're openminded, I would think you'd be received better.

Anyway, where's the percentage is just slagging off someone's favourite band or making that you know them better than they do? Default position for me: if I don't like the band don't contribute (unless constructively) and after that, adopt a softly-softly approach to see how the land lies.

That's just how I'd do it.
I really don't think massaging egos to please others by the way you respond is the best way to go. Firmness just fades and instead of making an acute statement strictly focusing on the debate, it becomes more personal. I think either is a respective way to post. I'm not encouraging one or the other. I post because the discussion is thought-provoking enough to contribute with a comment, not for attention. (I really don't care if my comments void or denied attention, it's just a good way to learn and expressing yourself). Making strictly negative comments does not mean points aren't considered whether you agree with them or not without stating so.

In terms of tip-toeing, the emphasis of respect anyone expects in all honestly, I do find somewhat arrogant and pretentious in turn. General acceptance preferably is how I approach it, and find more respectful. It would be nice if someone clearly states taking the responders into consideration, but I don't find it necessary for a discussion.

Nor do I find this necessary: From "This band sucks." to "I think this band sucks." "In my opinion this band sucks." "I don't like this band (states a reason people will get offended by anyway from the valid points)." It's really feckin obvious I don't know why people get so offended by it. Maybe because of defensive feelings from being threatened or insecure about their own taste, then the topic now becomes personal and just kills the topic anyway.

"This band sucks full stop." Sure doesn't seem constructive, but we're talking negativity here, not quality of posts.

Last edited by Rjinn; 03-05-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Rjinn is offline   Reply With Quote