Music Banter - View Single Post - If you don't have something good to say...
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #35 (permalink)
Rjinn
The Aerosol in your Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i think it comes down to this actually. meaning, i disagree***. i think people have their own standards when it comes down to what "quality of posts" is defined as. so therein we see that each person - on top of having their own opinion on everything else that they have an opinion on - has a totally unique frequency when it comes to the potential of having a negative or positive effect by speaking their mind. so it kind of ends up being your own decision. it kinda becomes a different question, i guess, of whether or not you have faith in your ability or willingness to join in on a conversation that you don't like the subject of and not come off as "that guy" by being a dick.

personally i really appreciate when someone is willing to thoughtfully give their time to not liking something by explaining it. i mean, at least you formed an opinion. at its simplest, it's paying tribute to art as an entity or force that wants to evolve. and also, something always stands to be learned from both sides and on both sides, i find. ie. you might not like a particular metal band because too many 16th-note triplets on the kicks on too many tracks of their album leaves you with the feeling that the drummer's potential is beyond what little creativity he's engaged himself in, and all of a sudden you have to explain what a 16th note is and what a triplet is cuz the person you're talking didn't know and was curious and oh my we're learning. obviously, one silly hypothetical scenario can't begin to encapsulate the depth of learning that can come out of articulated thought.

and back to the first part, i don't think you in particular have anything to worry about. your express yourself as thoroughly and succinctly as can be expected by someone on a forum, i've found, and it seems like when you don't like something or don't agree you have a reason. that's good enough for me.
I don't understand what you're disagreeing with. The first half my post is about the manner of which people state. The other half an example of how to take opinions.

I don't actually find "This band sucks" or "This band is good" much appropriate response for a music discussion board.

Having standards, and exposing opinions for conversation is fine. If that's what you're willing to do. But in another scenario, if I were to mention a band to a friend and they gave me a similar answer, I wouldn't disrespect them for not giving me one or a billion reasons just to look intellectually superior.

Edit: I just saw your edit. :P