Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beatles vs The Beach Boys
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 12:03 AM   #608 (permalink)
DriveYourCarDownToTheSea
AllTheWhileYouChargeAFee

Alright, here's my first "contest."

I've no doubt many of these songs have been shown/linked elsewhere in this thread, but for the sake of convenience I'll show them side-by-side in each post. Apologies for any duplication.

The point is to listen to each song, and decide, if you can, which is the better song ... or at least, if the two are artistically comparable, even if you have a strong preference for one of the two songs.

There are a lot of songs by each band which don't really have "reasonably comparable" songs by the other band. And in some cases I will pair up songs which are only kinda-sorta comparable. But remember, the style of the two bands was quite different, which makes comparing them a complicated task. There are going to be some arbitrary decisions in which songs I pair up with which.

---------------------------------------

Contest #1: Battle of the Very Early, Teeny-Bopper Hits - "Surfin' USA" vs "Please Please Me"

"Surfin' USA" - recorded January 1963

"Please Please Me" - recorded November 1962

My verdict: Surfin' USA is a fun song, but also taking into account it was based heavily on a Chuck Berry song and thus isn't a pure BB composition, Please Please Me is the hands-down winner.

More ...

Last edited by DriveYourCarDownToTheSea; 09-25-2020 at 07:06 PM.
DriveYourCarDownToTheSea is offline   Reply With Quote