Music Banter - View Single Post - Rock Art and the X-Ray Style by Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Default Rock Art and the X-Ray Style by Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros

This is the album that won a recent FAIR album club poll, with a resounding landslide of three votes.
Quote:
Rock Art And The X-Ray Style by Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros
( 1999 )

In a surprising change of style, JS put aside the punk fury of London Calling and made an excentric album of shuffling, urban reggae and folk-rock. He furthur expanded his own particular vision of the multi-cultural music scene on his next album, Global A Go Go, but song for song, I think Rock Art is stronger. Don`t dismiss these albums (as I did for years) as an exercise in musical tourism; they are much more consistent and convincing than that. And if you`re wondering if this is really FAIR music, well JS himself described this Yalla Yalla track as " an ancient British folk song - written in 1999" That`s a good enough excuse for me !
Has anyone listened to it ? Why not share your thoughts about this album ? Or any of Joe Strummer´s other work for that matter - seems like a good topic for one of those "compare and contrast" essays we all get so tired of at school.

Last edited by Lisnaholic; 03-13-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote