Music Banter - View Single Post - The Metallica Paradox.
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Metallica might not have been a big mainstream band in the 80s but from Master Of Puppets onwards they were easily one of the biggest metal bands in terms of hype & attention in the metal press. You couldn't pick up a metal magazine or listen to a metal show on the radio without Metallica getting mentioned at that time.

500,000 copies is massive amount of records when you're cult band.(which they were at the time). I know they DID go gold in the UK, and that's 250,000 album sales in one country alone and that's not even taking into account of their popularity in places in Europe where metal bands sell highly such as Germany & Scandinavia.
In fact all 3 of their albums released on Music For Nations (Their UK indie label) went gold BEFORE they signed with Polygram.

They were also a very fan friendly band at the time, something that vanished when they became the huge million selling mainstream band later on.

I'm not surprised so many Metallica fans from that era have no interest in them, I'm one of them. it had nothing to do with them getting big & it had everything to do with them making boring records that I don't really want to listen to.
And of course growing up, both them and their fanbase.

And I'm under 40 for a good few years yet BTW.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote