Music Banter - View Single Post - I need serious advice
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Jesus Exo! You'd think he'd realise you have enough on your plate with the shocking news your mother got. I have no idea what you could do. Maybe if he screwed up and had to spend a night or so in jail it might knock some sense into him, maybe it would make him worse, I don't know, but he needs something. In the old days they'd send him to the army or into the priesthood or god knows what.

But I agree with Pete and Herm: you can't allow him to destroy your lives when he clearly doesn't give a ****. One thing that needs to stop is your dad bailing him out. Let him pay his own ****ing fines, and if he can't let him go to court and if necessary to prison. Maybe it will straighten him out. At worst, you and your family will get some time away from him.

I think the main problem is that your parents are wrapping him in cotton wool (your mother with the school and your dad with the fines) and so he thinks everyone will always be there to clean up his mess. It's time he learned to take responsibility for his actions. As long as people keep making excuses for him and sorting out his problems/debts, he's going to have no reason or incentive (considering how deaf he is to your pleas and how little he seems to care about you all) to change, buckle down, live in the real world.

I think you and your parents need to sit him down, set an ultimatum. If he doesn't follow the rules he's out of the house. And make sure he knows you're serious: this is not just some empty threat. And when he fails to keep the rules, pack his bags and leave them on the porch, have the locks changed and dont let him in. If necessary call the cops.

It's a tough situation man, I really feel for you, but it looks like you've tried being reasonable and now tougher measures are required.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Let us know how it develops. We're thinking of you. And you parents.