Music Banter - View Single Post - Right wing artists
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #48 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
It couldn't be more wrong, Jansz: "Historically music has always been for the rich"? Where did that come from? Even if she'd said "I think" but "Historically" makes it seem like she believes it's a fact, researched, and it just doesn't stand up to any examination, for at the very least the reasons I gave previously. It just makes no sense. You might as well say only rich people could write, or paint, which is just as off the beam as that statement.

I'm not trying to get at her, I just don't see where she got that assertion from. It's not an opinion as far as I can see, it's being offered as historical fact, and it most certainly is not. If anything, the reverse is true. The rich couldn't be bothered learning/playing music and historically the nobles, kings, landlords etc would engage bands or musicians to entertain them. These would often be from a much lower class. In fact, in many cultures musician was often ranked alongside beggar or pedlar in terms of social strata. It certainly was not a badge of nobility or wealth. Mozart, one of the most gifted musicians in history, died a pauper.
I think you misunderstood my point, which was that the comment she was responding to is equally incorrect. The OP was talking about modern right-wingers and had made the claim that "most artists usually come from a poor background". To me that's a pretty baseless claim, especially in the context in modern times. As others have pointed out there are numerous examples of artists who come from privileged, or at least not poor, backgrounds. Are there some artists that come from poverty? Absolutely. But I don't think they're the majority.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote