Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #13030 (permalink)
Big Ears
Music Addict

Last night I saw a film called Skyline (US 2010). I wouldn't say it was the worst film I've ever seen (that would be Passenger 57), but it came close. I think the lead actor was Eric Balfour, who either cannot act or was severely miscast. Various reviews I read, described the finale as bizarre, but it wasn't really. The story, such as it is, involves a bunch of tiresome people who wake up, in a swanky high-rise apartment, after a party, to find LA has been taken over by a variety of nasty aliens. Why this has to follow a party is lost on me. As usual with tihs type of film, there is lots of screaming, aliens lifted from War of the Worlds, people making irrational decisions leading to their deaths, a sensible woman amidst a bunch of stupid men, lots of computer graphics resembling video games and so on. As it happens, the final scenes imply that a sequel or series is on the way. I assume the studio had second thoughts.

It seems to me that computer graphics have made enormous technical advances in a relatively short space of time, but they are taking the place of sensible dialogue, imaginative plots and convincing characters. The exception is in computer animated films like Toy Story, The Incredibles, Up and the like.