Music Banter - View Single Post - Nostalgia: Why Do We Love or Hate It?
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
misspoptart
gimme gimme

Question Nostalgia: Why Do We Love or Hate It?

We all listen to tracks that evoke a deep sense of nostalgia.

Whether they are songs that you associate with ages past or simply songs that make you reflect on life, you feel affected, but often, can't put a finger on why.

I'm starting this thread hopefully to launch a discussion on the following few topics:
  • Do you listen to "nostalgia" songs at specific times? Do you intentionally seek them out? If so, when?
  • Do songs that stir nostalgia ever make you upset, or do they generally make you happy?
  • Would you like those nostalgic tracks today if you heard them for the first time? Share some that you think are timeless, or others that you think only stuck with you because of your age, situation, or memory.

You don't have to answer or respond to everything, but I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I'm curious about MB's thoughts, too. The main thing I'm grappling is really, would I like song x or band z today if I heard them for the first time? Why do I still listen to it when today I can clearly identify it as crap? It usually makes me melancholy to listen to nostalgic tracks, but if I were to delete them, I would go completely crazy.

How about you guys?

Edit: I realize a similar topic has been started before, but this one is meant to go in a completely different direction. Hope the mods approve.
misspoptart is offline   Reply With Quote