Music Banter - View Single Post - Help Me Understand
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Default Help Me Understand

I want to ask about something specific, but feel free to use this thread for questions about any current events that you don't want to make a whole thread for.

Help me understand the big deal about the pope. I don't really have a Catholic background, and most of what I understand is he's basically the top guy in the hierarchy of... whatever it is that's apparently extremely important to a lot of people.
To me, it's just a guy in a position that doesn't affect me. But I keep hearing people freaking out about the fact that a new pope was chosen. Isn't that inevitable?
And why does it get so much news coverage? Basically the media is in a frenzy for however long it takes for the right color smoke to come out, then after it happens and a couple days pass, the frenzy dies down and everyone goes on with their lives without ever mentioning anything at all about popes until one dies and another takes his place.

If he's that important, why isn't he in the news all the time? Or do people really just get excited over the whole "who's gonna be the next pope? Not that I care or even know who the guy is! But still!!!!"

I mean, that's the impression I get.
Any takers?