Music Banter - View Single Post - Mackelmore & Ryan Lewis
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #89 (permalink)
FRED HALE SR.
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
Awfully angry, my friend.

You're fine to have discussions with people who enjoy the same music, but why would anyone feel its acceptable to go into a thread of an artist they acknowledge not enjoying, then deride that artist with internet slang and half-ass'd arguments? That's a general question, and not posed directly at Fred.

I see arguments about music two ways: Either you come into a thread or start one on a topic with genuine concerns (e.g. The teach Janszoon to love the Beatles thread), or people go into a thread to be a negative jackass with no arguments and just hollow opinions defined by social precedent. I think its pretty easy to see that none of the detractors have said anything on par with the aforementioned Beatles thread, but are probably more closely aligned with most of the derisive comments from the Rebecca Black thread.

Now admittedly, that artist (Black) offered very little and so it was difficult to speak positively. But we're dealing with a different caliber artist here, and people who come in picking up the weapons of the Troll are going to look like trolls. But thats not my problem, its theirs.

As for your thesis - I'm here to discuss music in such a fashion that people can yield something from it. And I am here to change perceptions. I fell into the townie-trap of making music an us vs. them game. Then later I thought I was too smart to listen to **** music - but you learn that its something that only holds you back. If I can prevent people from the same fate, or expedite their musical growth then I will.

On Musicbanter, our problem is not failure to have exposure to new music, but failure to see the value in almost all music. Its like having a 747 jet and only using it to take hour trips.
FRED HALE SR. is offline   Reply With Quote