Music Banter - View Single Post - Manchester Bands of the 80's and 90's
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #33 (permalink)
stevesonthebay
Music Addict

i lived in chesterfield for a few years in the 90s and the music was great. it was coming at you from all directions. chesterfield is about 50km from Manchester and the Thompson twins are from near there. Sheffield down the road has a big music history and artists like Chris Rea, pulp, artic monkeys, human league and Joe cocker are from there. everyone's heard of oasis who were up against blur but at that time but there were a lot of bands going around like Jesus Jones, supergrass, kular shaka, Ocean Colour scene, Cast, Boo Radleys, happy Mondays, the bluetones and the las who were just as good IMO. the music reminded me of a rehash of the mercy beat and British bands of the 60s. on the other side of the coin there was the boy bands like take that, boys zone, east 17 and westlife fighting it out with Robson and Jerome and the evergreen cliff Richards all dominating the airways. i think that was the time when the dance music was coming out with m people, massive attack and Jamiroquai. my only regret is not getting to Glastonbury before i came back to Australia.