Music Banter - View Single Post - Help Me Understand
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
He's the most powerful person in the largest and most powerful denomination of the largest and most powerful religion on planet so when they select a new one it's not surprising that it's pretty big news. When the popes are in office they're pretty big news as well. I'd definitely say I see more news stories about the pope throughout a given year than I do about 90% of the heads of state in the world.
Makes sense. That much I understood. But it seems like if the pope was really so awesome 365 days a year, people would be all, "OMFG! POPE IS BEING POPE! LA LA LA... SITTING THERE IN HIS HAT LIKE A BADASS! THIS IS SO AMAZING. (4 months later...) I LIVE FOR THE KNOWLEDGE THAT THE POPE IS BREATHING STILL! LOOK AT HIM! LOOOK AT HIM!!!! WOOOOO POPES!!!!!"

But in reality they're all, "POPES!!! WOOOOOO!!!.... (24 hours later) BREAKING BAD WOOOOOO! WALKING DEAD WOOOOOOO!!!! EVERYTHING ELSE EXCEPT POPES WOOOOOOO!!!!!"
It's almost like, to the general public, new popes are a summer fashion trend, and they only freak out about it when the style burns out and comes back around full circle in like 10-15 years.