Music Banter - View Single Post - Travel guitar recommendations?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
BastardofYoung
Buzz Killjoy

For under $200? Uhhhh... I do not know.

Luna Guitars Muse Safari Series Spruce 3/4 Dreadnought Travel Acoustic Guitar | Musician's Friend

but personally I would spend the slightly more and get one of these:
Martin Little Martin Series Acoustic Guitar | Musician's Friend

I tried the Koa one at the music store I get my stuff from, and it sounded great for a 3/4 sized guitar. Only other one that compared to it was the Taylor GS Mini, but that one is about $500, so don't think you would wanna go that route. So yeah, the Martin is not as great as the GS Mini, but it is better than a Baby Taylor.

http://www.cortguitars.com/en/product/Earth-Mini
Right now I have one of these, which I got for $220. It does its job, if they had that little Martin at the time I got the Cort I would have spent the extra $100 on it (here it costs $320 for the martin). Like most any travel, it will sound not to bad when new, but once the strings wear out it deadens a lot. Of course you can not expect greatness from a 3/4, the lows are noticeably inferior, the highs are not bad.. a little mid presence. But that is common with travel guitars.

But the reason I like it, it was the only travel guitar in it's price range with a solid spruce top. Most of them in the price range are laminate, so who knows, maybe over time the sound will open up more and get better... but for where it stands right now, it is sufficient, but not going to blow your mind with its sound quality.

‎"I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people." - Jack Handey.

Last edited by BastardofYoung; 03-16-2013 at 07:25 PM.
BastardofYoung is offline   Reply With Quote